Saturday, May 26, 2007

Credit card payments on slow links

I have been making some credit card payments of a few sites hosted in India. Most worked well; however I have seen that most of the times the process is slow. And it is pretty scary to get a “Connection timed out message” after I fill my credit card details and press the “Submit” button, since I don’t know if the transaction went through and succeeded; did my credit card get charged, did the money actually go to the target vendor? This problem will be particularly aggravated on slow links.

I wonder if there is a solution to this problem. To restate the problem – “how can a vendor ensure that there is a delay of maximum 1-2 seconds after pressing the submit button on a credit-card-payment page and before the next page saying ‘Thanks for making the payment’ comes?” I usually see a delay of almost 1 minute, which sucks.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think some more effective database & network algorithms can help.
-GK

11:02 PM  
Blogger Rakesh Pai said...

Ecommerce has still to take off in India, IMHO, for B2C (whatever that means) operations. The best systems I've seen use gateways that are not hosted by India. Combine that with routing/redirecting lags, and it's easy to see why you are facing the problem you do.

I've been exploring ebay.in's (Was that Bazee's innovation?) API for PaisaPay, and it seems to be interesting. TMK, it's one of the better systems out there for Indian audiences. It seems like a hint pointing in the direction to a "solution to this problem", as you say.

Only time will tell what emerges to be perfect, though. Who knows! If you do find a solution to this problem, please let me know - I'm deeply interested!

2:58 AM  
Blogger santosh said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:58 AM  
Blogger santosh said...

Have you tried using IRCTC during a weekday? Even ICICI corporate banking is ridiculously slow during the daytime.

It appears to me as if some of these companies decide not to invest in their network infrastructure.

Since the standards are so different - the user is often left with a bad experience during payment.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi,

Thanks for your comments.

I agree with the infrastructure upgrades that would enable faster processing.

I am wondering if there is a different way the interaction can be done so it becomes faster. Something similar to maybe – a) the transaction happening as a 2 phase commit, where the first phase is very fast and returns success to the user, while the second phase actually sends the request to the credit card company, or b) simply sends an email to the credit card company after collecting the information from the user.

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I forgot the name of good Indian network. But it exists, I know exactly. 1 minute is too long, really. Do not make your life a burden.

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home