8 hacks for finding Startup office space
Here are some of the key points when finding an office of about 2000 sqft in Pune in Aundh/Baner area:
- Rates have gone up like crazy – average rate is Rs. 50/sqft., unfurnished
- Most office spaces have only 2 restrooms, which is too few for a 2000 sqft space. So most spaces can pretty much be rejected on that ground
- There are a large number of residential properties that people are converting into commercial properties for offices and showrooms, and charging Rs. 50 per-sqft!
- The problem with these residential-turned-commercial properties is that – a) families are living in the same building, b) kids are playing in open spaces and c) parking is mostly an issue.
- There are independent-bungalows available at very cheap rates. These places are great – they are peaceful, have lots of spaces, lots of parking and so on. BUT you would probably never get broadband in those places. These independent-bungalows are available at 1/3 the rental cost
- Your office space must be located not more than 3 minutes from 5 places that must sell wada-pav, hot samosas, cut-chai, tandoori chicken and Pizza Hut – else you are doomed, because most employees in a startup are not married, and they need to eat (when they are not writing code)
- The other most important things when you are renting an office space are – 1) the place is good, 2) broadband is feasible and 3) parking space is available. The “broadband” is the most unexpected thing to find out. You can find the best place and the least cost, but no broadband – that will totally blow you off. The second most difficult thing to find is parking space for 4 cars
- I looked at the most cool places such as a nice place next to McDonalds in Aundh, a really cool office with all glass façade – but not good enough for Komli!
I finally decided with a really nice place above “Kobe Sizzlers” in Aundh. Awesome place, lots of space, central location, 2 balconies and lots of eateries around. And the best part is – you can get Sizzlers on Demand.
Wanna join us - check-out our open positions at http://www.komli.com/careers/ .