Tuesday, February 19, 2008

MOSSO is good - but where is my SSH and how much memory do you support?


TechCrunch reported - "Hosting provider Rackspace is offering a new cloud computing service through its subsidiary Mosso. The service competes with Amazon’s Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), although it doesn’t require any load balancing or other administration. It also competes with Joyent and Media Temple’s Grid Service. Pricing starts at $100 a month for - 50 GB of storage, 500 GB of bandwidth for transferring data and 3 million HTTP requests. From there additional capacity per month costs: $0.50/GB of storage, $0.25/GB of bandwidth and $0.10/1,000 HTTP requests."

All this is good, but where is my ssh? Dude, how will I install my custom built software? How will I manage my Apache expire headers, how will I implement my mod_rewrite rules?

Also, it's not clear how much memory does the $100 get me?

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Akshay Surve said...

Mosso is surely not for the hands-on developer. No shell (there are chances that they may introduce some limited access) and off-course no ROOT access ever. I have no clue why Techcrunch compared it with Amazon's EC2. Comparing it with Media Temple and Joyent is acceptable. Also, it could probably compete with people offering services over EC2 but not EC2.

- Akshay

12:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was checking this out with Mosso support. I hear that we can use SSHFS to install custom softwares.

http://help.mosso.com/article.php?id=340

3:36 PM  
Anonymous k said...

sshfs works pretty well. that said, I can't understand we *any* hosting company is so stubborn to support ftp over sftp. Type "ftp unsecure" into Google and read.

I'm guessing that the # of hacked sites is low enough that these hosting companies are doing some kind of a cost/benefits analysis and finding they just don't feel like it. Either that or they're insane.

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home